Alpha Sequence Clones
Excerpted from: "An Alternate Beginning Sequence for Metamorphosis Alpha"
by Guy W. McLimore, Jr. (Dragon Magazine #6)
Program codenamed Clone Bank Alpha is activated only in case of extreme danger
or damage to the ship, causing breakdown of chain of command. Upon activation, tissue
samples are processed into clones of ship’s personnel, who are then programmed with the
technical and general data necessary for operation of the ship. YOU are one of these
clones charged with the task of rescuing the starship from disaster. But computer
malfunctions have left you without the special equipment and weapons you need to master
the situation. Some of your team are not even totally human, possessing strange mutant
abilities and defects. Worst of all, there are large holes in your memories.
The ship’s equipment seems strange to you, and you are not sure how to operate them.
You remember almost nothing of the structure of the ship itself.
The aged and broken-down computers in the clone bank complex yield no information of value.
Alpha Sequence clones choose from the following skills.
Professional Skills (choose one)
- Artillery Weapons Officer
- Civil Engineer (road, bridge and building construction)
- Computer Engineer
- Cyberneticist (robotics)
- Ecology Engineer
- Medical Officer
- Nanotech Engineer
- Power Systems Engineer
- Propulsion Engineer (ship's engines)
- Security Officer
Minor Skills (choose two)
- Biolab Technician (Blood and DNA analysis, biopsy)
- Electronics Technician
- First Aid
- Food Service Technician
- Handheld Weapons Officer
- Mass Transport Technician
- Personal Transport Technician
- Pilot (dropships, shuttles, small spacecraft and aircraft)
- Radiation Technician
- Recreation, Athletics and Matrial Arts Officer
- Ship Superstructure Technician
- Survival Training Specialist (select two specialties such as forest or desert)
- Zero Gravity Technician